If you have little ones you probably have a rubber ducky. And if you love that rubber ducky as much as we do in our house, you’ve probably noticed he can get pretty gross inside. Old bath water can get caught inside rubber bath toys and black mold can start to form. It is disgusting!
We have a ton of rubber squeeze/squirt toys that Hudson loves putting in his mouth. Black mold + my baby’s mouth really freak me out! So recently I cleaned ALL of our bath toys to put my mind at ease! Here’s what you’ll need to do: First, squeeze all of the bath water out of each toy. I tried to clean them with vinegar but just couldn’t get them clean enough…so I had to bring out the big guns…bleach! Soak the toys in 1 gallon of hot water mixed with 3/4 cup of bleach. Then, keep squeezing bleach water into and out of each toy until all of the gross stuff comes out. Be sure to wear gloves during this process so that you don’t get bleach everywhere!
Next, squeeze all of the bleach water out of the toys, rinse them thoroughly, and then let them dry for a day or so. These little guys lived on my chopping board for at least three days until I finally got around to the next step! My husband kept joking that I was plotting a bath toy massacre.
You could choose to clean your toys with bleach periodically but what busy mom has time for that? This next step is optional, but it has proven to be a lifesaver for us! Grab your hot glue gun and place a tiny dot of glue over the squeeze hole on each toy. That way, no more yucky water can get inside and your toys stay clean!
Yay for clean toys! Hudson doesn’t even care that the toys don’t squeak or squirt water anymore.
And now for some cute baby in the tub shots.
Bath time might just be my favorite time of day.