I’ve been thinking a lot lately about all the weird things that have changed body now that I’m a mom. No one ever talks about this! Motherhood, although the best job ever, is pretty tough on your mind and body. Let’s make a list, shall we? I would LOVE for you to add to it in the comments!
1. My skin is super dry, especially my hands. When you think about it, your hands really take a beating! Lots of hand washing, washing bottles, washing dishes, extra loads of laundry, baby using your fingers as a teether, catching vomit in your hand…you name it!
2. When I was pregnant, my hair was even thicker than normal….but as soon as I had Hudson I started to shed like crazy. I think that lasted for at least 5 or 6 months. Then, after you loose all that hair it starts to grow back so you have teeny tiny fly-away baby hairs all over your head. Super glamorous. Don’t even get me started on the hairs lost to a baby ripping them out…..
3. My mind is complete mush about 80% of the time. At work I used to be able to remember all of the policies and procedures like it was my J.O.B….(well, it was!), but now I have to look them up every single time. Sometimes, the same one multiple times a day. As soon as I put it to use it’s like it disappears. And that paper I put away for safe keeping? Forget about it. It will never be found.
4. Also on the topic of loosing my mind, I have to be really mindful of every little thing I do, otherwise my keys will end up in the microwave, ice cream will be put away in the refrigerator, and I will never ever remember the name of the new neighbor down the street. During Christmas I replaced the photos in our gallery wall with our past Christmas cards (you can see it here). For most of them I left the original photo that went in each frame behind the Christmas card, so that it would be a simple switch when it was time to take them down……except one photo mysteriously was not in the frame. I searched all of my usual hiding places and it could not be found. Worst thing was, I had to go back to my blog and look at the photos of the gallery wall to even remember what photo I was searching for! Finally, a few days latter I just happened to find it. I would tell you where I found it, but of course I can’t remember.
5. My body will never be the same. Before I got pregnant I though that once I lost the baby weight, I would be back to normal. WRONG. The baby weight is gone but my abs will never look the same. And the crazy thing is I kind of don’t care.
6. I now obsess over safety. I literally wake up in the middle of the night and can’t get back to sleep because I worry about something bad happening to us, someone breaking in to our home, or our house catching on fire. So I finally bought some fire escape safety ladders for the two bedrooms on the back of our house (for the front two bedrooms the safety plan is to climb out on to the roof that’s above the porch and jump. I’m sure there is a word for this, but see item #3) and I slept much better last night. Up next on my list is to buy two more fire extinguishers and to make first aid kits for both of our cars. The worrying never ends.
7. I can function on way less sleep than before I was a mom. 5 hours? No problem. 6 hours? Totally normal. 7 hours? Died and gone to heaven.
What would you add to this list?