This post is sponsored by Dove Hair Care but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
A few months ago I posted a picture to my instagram story about my “day 3 hair” and got SO many questions. I actually think my hair looks best when I go at least 3 days between washings….and so many of you have asked me to spill my secrets! The truth is sometimes I forget when I last washed my hair….and no, I’m not walking around looking like a hot mess. I’ve trained my hair to go several days between washes, and it’s been a game changer as a busy mom. It’s saved me a ton of time…..because who has time to wash, dry, and style their hair every single day? I sure don’t!
I used to wash my hair every other day. And then when I became a mom it was more like every three days. And now that I’m a mom of three little ones, I typically wash my hair every 4 or 5 days. Crazy right? But it’s so freeing! I love it. And my hair is healthier and happier. Here are my secrets to day 3 (or sometimes day 4) hair:
1. Train your hair to be washed less. It’s sounds simple. Just wash your hair less. But really, you have to train your hair to be washed less. It takes time and commitment. Did you know it’s actually better for your hair to go a few days in between washings? If you are someone who says they have to wash their hair every day or it’s a mess, I totally get it! I used to be the same way. But training your hair to go longer without washing takes time, so be patient! Start by adding just one extra day in there, and stick with it. After a week or so your hair should start to adjust. Then try adding in another day. I have thick hair, so I can go several days between washes. If you have thin hair you might only be able to go 2 days….which is still way better than washing every day!
2. Dry shampoo. The number one item that helps me extend the days in between washes is Dove Volume and Fullness Dry Shampoo. I cannot live without this stuff! It refreshes hair between washes, instantly removing oil, while adding volume and fullness. And it leaves your hair looking beautiful, healthy, and full of body! Yes please! Plus it makes your hair smell so good. On day two, I typically don’t need to use dry shampoo because my hair still looks good. But on days three and four, I always start my routine with this dry shampoo. It instantly revitalizes my hair and makes it feel fresher and cleaner.
3. Find a hairstyle that works for you. Usually if I’m really busy or just plain exhausted at bedtime, I skip washing my hair….and that can happen several days in a row. By Day 5, even dry shampoo can’t breathe much life back in to my hair, which is when a messy bun comes in to play. No shame in my game. My typical routine is to curl my hair on day 1, touch up the curls on days 2 and 3, and throw it up in a pony tail or messy bun on day 4.
4. Pick the right shampoo and conditioner. My favorite shampoo and conditioner right now is Dove Thickening Ritual Shampoo & Conditioner. It has innovative fragrances and ingredients and is designed to help your hair with what you need most. It is nourishing shampoo enriched with lavender oil and rosemary and helps boost body and bounce from first wash, creating healthy and fuller looking hair.
5. Take care of yourself! Just because you aren’t washing your hair every day doesn’t mean it doesn’t need a little TLC every now and then. Schedule hair appointments and stick to them. When I get busy it’s hard to make time to myself…but I always arrange for childcare so I can sneak away to a hair appointment. Taking that time for myself makes me a better mom, helps keep my hair healthy, and improves my confidence!
Dove has always been the go-to brand in my house! I love that Dove is constantly working to make beauty a source of confidence, not anxiety. Beauty is not defined by shape, size or color – it’s feeling like the best version of yourself!