It’s spring time….which is one of my most favorite times of the year! (If only Michigan would wake up and realize it’s actually spring, and not still winter….ahem 3 inches of snow last week!). But anyway, even though my kids have been lucky enough to not have serious allergies (that we know of) we occasionally all suffer in the spring when the pollen outside is more frequent. Everyone seems to have a spring/summer stuffy nose and pollen seeps into my house and makes us all a little uncomfortable. My husband actually does suffer from allergies so thankfully we’ve been practicing these steps to ensure our home is allergy friendly and that our kids stay as healthy as possible! So today I’m sharing the steps we take in our home to manage allergy season!
1. Wash your hands. Washing our hands is part of our daily routine. Of course, hand washing keeps germs away – but it also helps to cut down on allergens from outside that may have collected on your skin, especially during pollen season. My kids are always putting their hands near their eyes and face, so washing hands helps reduce exposure while inside—and ultimately symptoms.
2. Remove Shoes. The first thing we do when we come home is take off our shoes in the mud room. This helps cut down on tracking pollen and other allergens, not to mention dirt, throughout the house. By taking your shoes off your home stays cleaner, which is an added bonus!
3. Take care of noses, gently. For years now I’ve been turning to Boogie Wipes® saline nose wipes for the kids whenever they have a cold or a runny nose. I take them with me wherever we go! They can be used as often as needed and each wipe is infused with natural saline to make it easier to wipe away mucus, while remaining gentle enough to comfort stuffy noses. Because saline is natural and hypoallergenic, it can soothe even the most delicate skin around little noses and reduce irritation. Boogie Wipes® saline nose wipes are alcohol free and made with aloe, chamomile and vitamin E, and are a great alternative to dry tissues.
Boogie Wipes® saline nose wipes make it easier to wipe away mucus, while remaining gentle enough to comfort stuffy noses. These wipes can soothe even the most delicate skin and reduce irritation. We love them when our kids have a cold and during allergy season!
We prefer the Boogie Wipes® saline nose wipes that are unscented PLUS Boogie Mist® saline mist (in the fresh scent) for allergy season. Boogie Mist® saline mist is a new product to my household and is a powerful sidekick to our beloved Boogie Wipes® saline nose wipes. Boogie Mist® saline mist is a non-medicated sterile saline mist that works quickly inside the nasal cavity to ease congestion caused by boogers that won’t budge. Such a game changer when you have little ones with frequent stuffy noses! Nasal washing 2-3 times a day with a saline spray like Boogie Mist® saline mist helps flush allergens out of the nose while also relieving congestion and irritation.
4. Shower Often. My kids totally groan at this one. But allergens are so tiny you can’t see most of them, but they’re still there settling into our hair and sticking to our skin. Having your family shower more often helps to wash them away and rinsing off before bed means less of the irritants make it on your pillow. Also be sure to rinse off anytime you do outdoor yard work or gardening during heavy pollen season.
5. Vacuum and dust regularly. Invest in a good vacuum and actually use it! We have a regular vacuum, small hand held, and a Roomba…and at least one of them is used daily! With three kids bringing in all kinds of stuff, it’s a necessity! I also love to bribe my kids to dust for me…they actually think it’s fun so we make it a game! We play “cleaning crew” often and they each get a little duster to use.
6. Change your home’s air filters. Air filters should be changed at least every 3 months, but we change ours monthly during allergy season. I’ve started writing down a reminder in my planner to change them out….otherwise it wouldn’t happen!
7. Groom pets regularly. I mentioned that my husband is allergic to dogs and cats….but we have a dog! He’s built up his immunity over the years, but we still need to make sure Wrigley has regular baths and is brushed often. Wrigley is also not allowed on our furniture or in our bed.
8. Keep windows closed during peak pollen times. This one is hard because once it’s finally warm outside I want to keep all of our windows open as much as possible! But after discovering a fine layer of pollen on EVERYTHING, I quickly changed my tune. Thankfully I know which windows in our home need to stay closed and which ones can be open. And it’s only for a few weeks. If possible, keep your windows closed, especially if it’s a windy day so that you can avoid pollen seeping in to your house like it does mine!
How do you manage allergy season with your kids? Boogie Wipes® saline nose wipes and Boogie Mist® saline mist (in the fresh scent) are my go-to’s for allergy season and any time my kid’s have a stuffy nose. Check out their website here to find them at a store near you.
This post is sponsored by Boogie Wipes® saline nose wipes and Boogie Mist® saline mist, but our love for their products is all our own.
These are such helpful tips! My son has allergies and I never thought to make him shower after playing outside!
Love this post so much! We use Boogie wipes all the time in our house!
How cute are your three???? I had no idea there was a Boogie saline mist too….totally buying that this week because we already love the wipes!
Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine says
A great mom-essential to have on hand!
It’s so hard to keep windows closed when its nice out and at the peak of allergy time! Boogie wipes are so good, though. I need to pick up the saline mist also!
Truly such good tips for everyone – but I’m sure especially those with small humans! Allergies get to us all at one point or another.
Patricia @ Grab a Plate says
Ohmygosh! It’s been such a rough start to the season here in Phoenix! I know your tips are all really great things to remember, for kiddos and adults!
We love love love Boogie Wipes! They smell so good! Haven’t tried their Boogie Mist yet, so excited to give it a shot!