1. Crane Drop Humidifier. Hudson has his first cold right now and this humidifier is great! If you are pregnant make sure you buy one now because if you are like me, you won’t decide you need one until it’s baby’s bedtime…and your husband is at baseball practice. (Lucky for me grandma was able to babysit!).
2. NoseFrida. I was at a baby shower when a friend received this as a gift and I thought it was the most disgusting thing I had ever seen! Little did I know that a few months later I would be buying one. You use this to suck the snot out of your baby’s nose…and it is awesome! Hudson doesn’t like it, but he HATED the one they give you at the hospital. Plus, there is a strange sense of satisfaction when you see all the boogers you can get out with this thing!
3. Boppy Nursing Cover. For some reason I didn’t think I needed this. I figured I would just feed Hudson a pumped bottle if we were out and about. Turns out he didn’t really like a bottle at first so this was totally necessary! So far I’ve only used it in the car and haven’t gotten up the courage to use it somewhere more public. Maybe with baby #2 I’ll be more brave!
4. Gas Drops. Just buy these now. Your baby may have gas or may be like mine and just cry a lot, making you think he has gas. Who knows if these helped at all but it made this new mama feel like at least I was trying something during those first few (super hard) weeks!
5. A Second Boppy Cover. If you use a boppy (we love ours!) make sure you get a second, or even a third, cover for it. Trust me.
6. Bottle Warmer. I refused to register for a bottle warmer. I am breastfeeding and figured we didn’t need it. All you have to do is heat up some water in the microwave and plop a cold bottle in there right? Turns out this process took longer than I thought. And according to my husband it was a pain in the you know what. So save your husband a hassle and go out and buy this for him. He’ll thank you for it.
7. Sheet Saver. Buy two of these. Spit up on sheets is no fun. While you’re at it buy two mattress pads too.
8. White noise apps for your iphone. We have white noise lite and a wonderful nature one from BuzlyLabs. These come in handy when you are out and about and need to drown out loud noises so your baby stays asleep! I learned that trick from our newborn photographer Miranda!
9. Vitamin D drops. I had no clue that breastfed babies needed these! You can put them in a bottle for daycare or do what I do and give them to your baby when he is taking his bath! Hudson is always in a good mood during bath time and takes them like a champ.
10. A cute baby book. This is the one I bought and I LOVE it. In fact, everyone who looks at it loves it too! When I was pregnant I couldn’t find a baby book that I liked. I decided I didn’t need one and that I could just make a really nice photo book of Hudson’s first year. But trust me, you need a real baby book! Especially since it’s hard to remember all of those “firsts”! You think you’ll have no problem remembering and then you have a baby and BAM….you loose your mind. Those first few weeks I couldn’t remember what day it was or when the last time Hudson ate…so there was no way I could remember the date of his first outing or first bath. Trust me on this one!
What is on your “I didn’t know we needed it” list?