This is a sponsored post, but all opinions are my own.
After the longest winter ever, we are SO ready for spring and summer! My kids are begging to go outside and play their little hearts out….and I’m ready to jump in on the fun too! With three little fair-skinned redheads to look after, keeping them safe in the sun is my number one priority. Protecting my skin has been ingrained in to me since I was little, and already Hudson and Sadie know they have to take precautions when playing outside! Hudson hasn’t had a sunburn but he knows that they hurt and aren’t good for you. I’m often asked about how I protect my kid’s skin in the summer (and year round!) so today I’m excited to share with you my sun safety tips!
1. Be smart about outdoor play time. Ultraviolet rays are the strongest and most harmful during mid day, so try to plan your outdoor activities for before 10am or after 4pm. Usually we are doing lunch and naps from 11-3, so this one just fits in to our routine. If my kids are begging to be outside I’ll often have them play in our sandbox, which is under our deck and completely shaded.
2. Cover up! Shoulders get so much sun, so I try to encourage Hudson to wear a swim shirt with this swim trunks, and always have a cover-up on Sadie.
3. Grab some shade! I am constantly moving my kid’s activities in our yard to the location that has the most shade. If you have a really sunny backyard, invest in some trees or a big sun umbrella.
4. Wear a hat! Such a simple way to keep the sun off your face. Do it!
5. Wear sunglasses. I always find it more comfortable to wear sunglasses when I’m outside, and my kids do too. Little eyes can be damaged by the sun’s rays, so keep them protected. Plus kids look so adorable in sunglasses.
6. Apply sunscreen every time your child goes outside. EVERY. TIME. And apply it often! Don’t forget to protect ears, noses, lips, and the tops of feet. Reapply sunscreen every 2 to 3 hours, or after sweating or swimming. My kids all have sensitive skin so I’m really picky about what sunscreen I use on them. My favorite sunscreen is Aveeno® Baby Continuous Protection Sunscreen Lotion with Broad Spectrum SPF 50. It nourishes and protects their skin so they can enjoy some fun in the sun! I don’t worry about sunburns thanks to Aveeno® Baby Continuous Protection Sunscreen Lotion with Broad Spectrum SPF 50. It’s SPF 50, made for sensitive skin, easy to apply, and keeps my kids safe in the sun.
7. Protect your kids even when it’s cloudy. UV rays, not the temperature, do the damage. Clouds do not block UV rays, they filter them—and sometimes only slightly. I wear sunscreen year round, and so do each of my kids.
8. Set a good example for your kids. Use sunscreen every day and talk to your children about being safe and protecting your skin from the sun. If your kids see you following sun-safety rules they’ll be more likely to follow them too. Skin protection is important for every member of the family, so team up with your children to stay protected when venturing out in the sun.
9. Keep sunscreen handy at all times. Kids often get sunburned when they are outdoors unprotected for longer than expected. Remember to plan ahead, and keep sun protection handy—in your car, bag, or child’s backpack. I apply sunscreen to Hudson before we leave for school, but sometimes I’m running late and I forget. So having Aveeno® Baby Continuous Protection Sunscreen Lotion with Broad Spectrum SPF 50 in my purse has saved me so many times! You can buy a twin pack at your local Walmart…so keep one in your bathroom and one in your bag!
I keep a small wet bag in my purse filled with sunscreen, extra sunglasses, hair bows, hand sanitizer and a hair brush. It seems like I always need these things when it’s warm outside so it’s nice to have them handy!
With Aveeno® Baby Continuous Protection Sunscreen Lotion with Broad Spectrum SPF 50, you can nourish and protect your children’s skin, no matter the time of the year. Aveeno offers an effective, natural solution with 100% mineral sun blockers with 100% zinc-oxide UVA/UVB mineral protection. Plus, its hypoallergenic and free of parabens, phthalates, dyes, and fragrance! It leaves my kid’s skin feeling soft and they don’t whine about me applying it. Total win!
Aveeno’s unique sunscreen locks in moisture to nourish your kid’s skin and is gentle enough to use every day. It’s also tear-free and easy to apply, which is a MUST in my house! Right now you can pick up the Aveeno® Baby Continuous Protection Sunscreen Lotion with Broad Spectrum SPF 50 twin pack at Walmart and save $5 with Ibotta!
Love all Aveeno products!