No matter how many kids I have, I have realized that I still don’t know what I’m doing. And now that I’ve been a mom of three for almost a year, I now know that it’s okay to not know what you are doing. No one does! We all are just doing our best and trying to live in the moment. And that’s really all that you can hope for. I’ve partnered with Baby Dove on this post to share how I believe that I am a better mom with baby number three than I was with baby number one. And here’s how:
1. I don’t second guess myself. When I was a new mom, I questioned everything. I often felt paralyzed by the little decisions I had to make every single day. Was I doing the right thing for my baby? Is he eating/sleeping/playing/interacting enough? You name it. Everything was new to me. But now with baby number three I know to trust my instincts. They are always right. I’m more confident. I know it will be hard, but I know I can do it.
2. I know how to be flexible. With my first baby I quickly learned that schedules were important. But maybe I took it a little too far. Now I know that things hardly ever go as I have planned, and instead of fighting it, it’s best to be flexible and go with the flow.
3. I don’t compare myself to other mothers. This one is a HARD lesson to learn. It’s easy to get caught up in what other moms are doing and thinking you have to be perfect all the time. Every mom is different. Every mom has their own challenges. It’s easy to judge a book by its cover, but as a third time mom I know better. Comparing myself to others will only make me feel bad about myself. And I don’t have time to feel down on myself for no reason.
4. I know it goes by fast. It’s true what they say…the days are long but the years are short. Time flies by when you are a mom. And it goes faster and faster with each child you have.
5. I’ve learned to soak it up. With my third baby, I’ve learned to soak up every second of her. I’ve learned to take photos of the chubby legs and gummy smile…because they might not be there the next day. I’ve memorized her soft rolls and they way her hair feels on my cheek. I’ve documented her falling asleep on my chest and they way she sucks her thumb. I’ll hold on to these things forever because I know how quickly they are gone.
6. I’ve learned it’s only a season. As soon as you think you’ve figured it all out, your baby up and changes overnight. I remember crying over Hudson’s sleep schedule. He was up all night for several days in a row and I remember thinking how am I going to do this? Will this ever end? And you know what? It did. It lasted a few days and then he was on to something else. A new tooth, a new skill, a new challenge. As soon as you have your baby “figured out” I guarantee they will change something on you. This hard part? It’s only a season. It’s not like this forever.
7. I know every child is different. Some walk at 10 months and some walk several months later. Some babies sleep through the night at 3 months old and some still don’t sleep at 5 years old (cough, cough, Belle and Hudson). Some babies talk and some are more quiet. Every child is different and I can waste so much time comparing my baby to someone else’s or I can just tell myself they are all different.
8. I know what works. As a third time mom I know what products work and I stick to them. I’ve trusted Dove products to take care of my skin for years, and now I use Baby Dove Rich Moisture Tip to Toe Wash followed by Baby Dove Rich Moisture Baby Lotion to care for my baby’s skin. Only the range of Baby Dove products go beyond mildness to replenish essential moisture lost in baby’s skin during bathing. All three of my kids have had sensitive skin and Baby Dove has been the perfect addition to our bath time routine.
While there’s no right way to parent, there is a superior way to care for my baby’s soft skin with Dove. All Baby Dove products are dermatologist and pediatrician tested and hypoallergenic for all babies’ skin types. I bathe Belle using Baby Dove Rich Moisture Tip to Toe Wash because it helps retain her natural skin moisture, is mild, and tear-free. She loves to follow up her bath with the Baby Dove Rich Moisture Baby Lotion…and I love how sweet and soft her skin is! The formula is specifically designed for delicate baby skin like hers!
How are you a different or better mom now that you have more than one child?
Find out more about the Baby Dove products in their Rich Moisture and Sensitive Moisture ranges by visiting Dove.com.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Baby Dove.