Hudson LOVES books. And it makes my heart so happy. His imagination is so great and he loves to get lost in a good book. We make an effort every day to have family reading time to read books and laugh together. It’s one of my favorite parts of the day. Hudson not only loves to read, he also loves to draw and lately has been enjoying making his own books. It’s so cute and so fun! One day we decided to make an accordion book so he could create his own story and keep it safe in a special book! Hudson was THRILLED with this idea and blew me away with how into it he was! He’s been begging to make another one! Good thing it was really easy! I partnered with Pilot Pen to bring Hudson’s accordion book to life!
Hudson was pretty excited about the finished product! Here’s what you’ll need to make your own accordion book for kids:
Hot glue gun, ribbon, fabric scissors, regular scissors, Pilot G2 Mini gel ink pens, cardstock, two pieces of cardboard (we used a cereal box), and a scrap of fabric.
1. Cut 2 pieces of cardboard (we used a cereal box) to about 4 ½ inches x 6 inches, and cut your fabric slightly larger than your cardboard.
2. Using a hot glue gun, glue the fabric to the cardboard.
3. Cut your cardstock to 4 ½ inches x 6 inches and fold it according style.
4. Stick your ribbon inside of the cover and then glue down the first page of the book. You’ll need to cut and add more cardstock pages to make your book as long or short as you want, and then glue in the extra pages.
5. Glue the last cardstock page to the other cardboard and fabric piece and don’t forget your ribbon! Make sure one of your pieces of ribbon is long enough to wrap around the entire book and then tie at the end. And you are done! Now it’s time to write your story!
Good things come in small packages! Hudson was pretty excited about all of the fun Pilot G2 Mini gel ink pen colors! They were the perfect size for his little hands. The G2 Mini is everything you love about G2 in a smaller size! Just like the original G2, the G2 Mini writes smoothly, has a super comfortable rubber grip, and is available in ten fun and vibrant colors. They are ideal for pockets, purses, notebooks…..and kids too!
Hudson was excited to have the G2 Mini gel ink pens all to himself….can’t you tell? He loved the different colors and was able to grip the pen really well. He was pumped to get started on his book!
Now what to write? The fun thing about the accordion book is that you can write two different stories….one on each side!
Hudson put all of his G2 Minis to work on his book!
He asked me how to spell several words….and was writing something about squids and lightning bolts? I’m not exactly sure. He’s six years old, and can’t exactly read yet. So he makes up the story as he goes along…and I love that about him.
Hudson was totally in to writing his book….and that’s what matters. I love watching his creativity spark!
He was so proud of his squid/lightning book! We read it at least 10 times and he even took it to school to show is teacher and his friends. He loves that it folds up tight for safe keeping.
This was such a fun project to work on together. I love spending special time with just Hudson, doing something he loves! The G2 Minis really brought Hudson’s book to life in such a fun way.
To learn more about Pilot’s collection of pens to use to create your own special project, check out their website here. The best part is that now through April 30th, you can get 20% off the G2 Minis 10 pack by using code 20G2MINI on Amazon.com! I’m stocking up now for the next school year and grabbing a few extra packs for teacher gifts!
We love our Pilot G2 Minis and can’t wait to create some more fun books and drawings with them!