I moved from Michigan to California about ten years ago and since then have learned a few things about caring for my skin during the winter. Now that I’m in my thirties and have three little children, remembering to take care of my skin, and finding the time to do it, is often difficult. So I’ve rounded up a few of my best tips for taking care of your skin during those cold winter months….and the best part is they are all super easy and super fast! I’ve partnered with one of my favorite brands, Dove, for this post.
1. Drink plenty of water. File this tip under things that are just plain good for you. I have a giant water bottle I carry around with me at all times and make it a point to fill it up multiple times a day. Staying hydrated will help your skin stain moisturized even in the dry winter air.
2. Use sunscreen! It seems like a given during the warmer months, but don’t forget to use sunscreen in the winter too. Dove dermatologist Dr. Alicia Barba reminds us that the sun is still out, even if you don’t see it, and the sun’s reflection on any snow can be particularly damaging. So wear your sunscreen. I use a moisturizer every morning with SPF 30 and I have SPF in my makeup too.
3. Care for your underarms. The skin under my arms is super sensitive, especially in the winter. Dr. Alicia Barba says wearing lots of layers of clothes can of irritate underarm skin. Underneath all of those layers you’ll need an antiperspirant that is formulated with moisturizers to help alleviate irritation. I started using Dove Advanced Care Antiperspirant about a year ago and love that it leaves me with softer and smother underarms.
4. Exfoliate gently. Don’t go overboard, but gently exfoliate your skin in the shower regularly. You’ll want to use a gentle soap (and not scrub too hard). I like to use Dove’s body wash with a loofa. Exfoliating your skin regularly will help get rid of that dead skin and keep you feeling fresh. But if you do it too often or too hard you can dehydrate your skin, so be careful!
5. Detoxify once a week. During the winter I like to use a mask every now and then to tone and purify my skin. I typically do this at night for a few minutes after the kids have all gone to bed.
6. Take care of your lips! Keeping your lips moisturized is essential in the winter. I LOVE to use Lanolin on my lips. Most breastfeeding moms already have this in their home. It’s nice and thick and stays on for a long time. Perfect for the winter!
7. Use a humidifier. A humidifier in your bedroom at night can be life changing during the dry winter months! Adding some humidity to the air can help your skin feel better…and help you if you have a stuffy nose too!
8. Take a multivitamin. You should do this year round…but it’s really important in the winter too. I like to take an extra dose of vitamin D in the winter too.
9. Wear gloves. This one may seem silly. But usually when I’m trying to wrangle three kids in their winter gear I often forget about bundling up myself. Gloves help protect the sensitive skin on your hands from the cold. My hands are especially prone to being extra dry in the winter, and one trip outside without gloves will make everything way worse. So protect your hands!
10. Get a pedicure! I know it sounds crazy to get a pedicure in the winter, but it’s the perfect time! My feet are neglected when it’s cold and in desperate need of a little extra attention. I had a pedicure the other day and it really helped my poor, dry, winter feet! I had to wait a little longer for my nails to dry (since I had to put on socks and boots!) but it was totally worth it.
I choose to use Dove Advanced Care because it also cares for your skin and provides 48-hour odor and wetness protection. I used to suffer from razor burn under my arms and regular deodorant seemed to irritate my skin and make it worse. Once I switched to Dove Advanced Care my skin felt so much better. Check out Dove Advanced Care Antiperspirant online here.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Dove Advanced Care Antiperspirant.