As a busy mom, it’s hard to make time for myself. It’s easy for my days to become long and stretched thin and exhausting. I’m sure so many of you can relate. When I do have some alone time it’s often spent running errands for my family or cleaning the house. But if I’ve learned anything from raising three little ones it’s that a burned out mama is no fun for anyone. Everyone is happier if I am happy. And in order to maintain my sanity I need time to myself every once in awhile. It doesn’t have to be an entire day, just some moments here and there to rejuvinate my mind and body and feel more like myself.
I know first hand how hard it can be to carve out some alone time. So I’m sharing a few tips I use to carve out “me time” during the day.
1. Wake up before the kids. I know I’ve shared this before, but the reason I’m putting it as number one on the list is because it is THE BEST tip I’ve discovered. I’ve tried staying up late to get a few things done, watch TV, or just sit and enjoy the quiet. And although it works, it’s exhausting. I always end up staying up way later than planned and I miss out on some quality time with my husband. So, at least a few days a week I set my alarm so that I’ll wake up before everyone else. It’s so nice to have the early morning all to myself. I can work out, make coffee, read blogs, or just be alone. It’s such a great way to start the day and always makes me feel happier and more motivated to keep up with all the things I have to do during the day. Not going to lie, some days waking up early just isn’t going to happen. Either the kids kept me up all night or I’m just too tired. And that’s fine. A little grace always helps.
2. Hire a babysitter. I’m lucky that my mom lives next door and my in-laws live 15 minutes away. And they are all retired. So I have several options for child care if I need a break. Before having Belle my in-laws came over in the morning once a week to watch Sadie while I took Hudson to pre-school. While he was in school I would run errands, go shopping, or just sit at Starbucks and work on blog stuff! It was the perfect break and just what I needed each week to feel accomplished and more on top of things. Now that I have Belle I frequently still have them come over to watch Sadie, and I just bring her along with me. She’s the easiest to take places!
If you don’t have family close by I highly recommend finding two good babysitters you trust. I recommend two because you might need a backup if one is busy! When I just had Hudson my mom worked and my in-laws lived 2 hours away, so I had to rely on a babysitter now and then to get some alone time. I asked my neighbors for recommendations and was able to find a sweet college girl to watch Hudson. I also found a sweet high school girl by using the NextDoor app. It’s an app for your neighborhood. I simply asked if anyone could recommend a babysitter and a mom in a local neighborhood down reached out saying that her daughter would love to do it! I ended up meeting with the mom and the daughter to “interview” her and had a great experience. I know babysitting can be expensive but it’s WORTH IT!
3. Take a bath. You guys, this one is sooooo amazing. I forgot how much I love baths! There is something so relaxing and peaceful about taking a bath. I like to get the kids in bed and then spend some time alone, soaking up the quiet. (Can I get an amen?)
I recently started using BathTease herbal bath teas and I’m in love! BathTease combines a blend of high-quality green tea, essential oils, and bath salts into a tea bag that you simply drop into your tub. And it smells AMAZING. Their spa quality products help improve skin complexion, promote healthy shiny hair growth, draw toxins out of the skin, reduce puffiness and dark circles under the eyes, and fight signs of aging.
There are three different types of teas to choose from: Aches and Pain for muscle tension relief, Floral Forest for complete skincare, and (my favorite) Lavender Dream for relaxation and stress relief. The Lavender Dream makes my bathroom smell heavenly, and leaves my skin so soft. I could stay in the bath ALL DAY! It’s like a mini spa!
Every bag comes with five individual 100% cotton muslin pouches, already pre-filled for a perfect bath. Simply put the muslin pouch in your bathtub and fill it with hot water. Allow fifteen to twenty minutes for the bath tea to brew and for the water to cool to a comfortable temperature, and then enjoy.
BathTease only uses the highest grade essential oils, which are 100% pure and therapeutic grade. I look forward to taking a bath now and actually make it a priority. It has done so much to help improve my mood!
4. Teach your kids independent play. I love to sit down and play with my kids, but sometimes I need them to play by themselves. I’ve worked from home for quite a while, so I knew when Hudson was really little that I would need him to be able to occupy himself for short periods of time. He understands that mama needs a break now and then and is happy to play by himself. Some days he’s NOT happy and needs me to do every little thing for him. But most days he’s fine to play independently for awhile. Sadie is naturally great at playing by herself, so this helps a ton. I encourage them to play by themselves (not together….they will fight, ha!) a little here and there so that I can have a moment of peace to do whatever the heck I want. It often involves me hiding in the bathroom eating cookies. Just keeping it real.
5. Plan a girls night. Every mom needs a support system! I don’t know what I would do without my mama friends! Pump a bottle of milk if you have to, ask grandma to help your husband with the kids, and get out of the house for the evening! This weekend a bunch of us are going to see the #imomsohard ladies and I can’t wait! I haven’t had a girls night in FOREVER. So obviously I need to put my own tips to use more often.
Be sure to check out BathTease for yourself and let me know what you think! You can find them here: Facebook / Instagram / Twitter / Pinterest
*This post is sponsored by BathTease, but all my love for their products is all my own!